Wednesday, July 20, 2016

How can I tell what my dream home is worth? It's not an apple or orange.


The value of a property, or anything, is ultimately what another person will pay you for it at a particular time. As a licensed Connecticut REALTOR since 1996, I have observed a similarity between real estate and produce, as the price of both items changes depending on a variety of conditions, including quality and availability. When we buy or sell a property together, we consider many more factors other than color, size and freshness. Here are a few ideas to help you. As your fiduciary agent, I will share more property specific ideas and insight with you, when we look what you want to acquire or sell,

Many times I have counseled my clients, always saying the location is the most important value, because you can change almost everything about a property, except where it is. Therefore, I consistently advise my clients to buy the ugliest house in the best location they can afford, then work to make it uniquely theirs.

When looking at a specific market, such as three bedroom homes with a bath and a half, garage and about 2000 square feet in the same community, consider these adjustments to value:

1) Neighborhood Location- Is the property on busy street, cul-de-sac, or neighbor only loop.
2) Topography-Is the lot (and driveway) level or sloping, affecting functional space.
3) Style-A colonial does not compare to a split or cape due to dormers and basement design.
4) Renovation- The quality and placement of a renovation may add value, appliances don't.
5) Layout – Functional flow, door way size and window views are items of value.
6) Proximity – To recreation, shopping, schools and exercise amenities within 2 miles.
7) Noise – How close are you to a highway, train, or other offensive noises and smells?
8) Property Setback – How close are you to your neighbors, and what are the sight lines?
9) New Construction – Consider workmanship, the material quality and the history of the builder.

Although these is a good list, it's not inclusive until we review your most favorite properties when buying, or compare your competition when selling. You may also read “The Multiple Values of a Home”, which I wrote, and is available on my website <http://ahomeforme.com> and Linked In. Since 1997, I have appreciated the time I have invested, learning about real estate with my clients, and your referrals of friends, colleagues and associates. Contact me at my office – 203.654.2905.
Copyright2016 by David Carr. All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment